Thursday, July 24, 2008

Waterless Challenge

I was about 15 years-old the first time someone challenged me to eat (4) saltine crackers in less than a minute. I was certain that I could prove myself as an exceptional young stud with my speedy eating prowess and I was quick to accept the opportunity. I didn’t bat an eye when it was clarified that I couldn’t take a drink of anything during my performance. But when I stuffed the crackers into my mouth, one by one; I soon came to realize that I wasn’t quite the stud that I thought I was. It didn’t matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t swallow quickly enough.

I was a little young to reflect on the experience at the time; other than maybe as to how I could collect a few winnings on wagers with others as unsuspecting as I was. It was years later when I began to truly understand the relevance of water in this event as well as countless others. I’m not suggesting here that I learned other parlor tricks with water. Instead, I came to understand just how crucial water is to the efficient performance of so many earthly functions. Even more to the point; water is absolutely critical to the human body. As a matter of fact, we humans are roughly 70% water! When that proportion of water drops in volume, we can suffer in so many ways.

When the upper gastrointestinal tract is low on water, the first sign is heartburn. We tend to respond with extensive or overuse of antacids which may lead to ulcers or cancer. Arthritis pain is a signal of water shortage in the joints. Low back pain and ankylosing arthritis occurs when the spinal column and discs are low on water and cannot cushion the weight of the body. The brain can only function well when it is amply hydrated. Without water, migraines can occur and mental clarity suffers. Water and a moderately controlled intake of sea salt can prevent and cure asthma. Water and small portions of salt can prevent and cure the adult early-onset of diabetes. Prolonged chronic dehydration leads to depression, multiple sclerosis, loss of libido and chronic fatigue syndrome.

And I could go on, but you get the idea. But back to the cracker-eating challenge. If you’re dehydrated, eating is a challenge. The tissue and glands in your mouth and throat need to be hydrated. I don’t know about you, but I enjoy eating too much and I’d rather it wasn’t a challenge.

Purified, mineralized and magnetized water is so important to our health.
-Dr. Batmanghelidj-

No comments: